While there may be some debate as to who invented the first Buffalo chicken wing recipe, there’s no dispute that this spicy, saucy chicken dish got its name from its birthplace, the Buffalo, New York area.
The oldest known place to serve the eponymous dish today is the Clarendon Hotel in Buffalo, whose July 1857 menu lists “fried chicken wings.” Over the next century, these delicious bites of meat became popular due to their plentiful supply and low prices. In the 1960s, there were many bars and restaurants specializing in Buffalo-style spicy chicken wings.
We’re doing our part to celebrate its popularity by featuring this chicken wing at the Keg Bar at Kil Cedar Creek Casino on July 29th, “National Chicken Wing Day.”
The Keg Bar is the perfect sports bar for friends to gather, have fun and make memories. He serves delicious chicken wings in three ways: traditional buffalo style, homemade BBQ style, and sesame ginger style.
For our popular Buffalo Wings, we start with annatto paste, harvested from the seeds of the Achiote tree, to give it its characteristic deep orange hue. Then we cook them, fry them, dip them in sauces, and watch them fly out of the kitchen basket by basket. Whether it’s a gathering with friends and family, or a sports party, these recipes will have everyone asking for more.
chicken wings preparation
Quantity: 32 Wings (approximately 3 1/2 lbs)
1 cup annatto paste
Seasoning 1 tbsp (Recipe: 3 tsp salt, 2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp granulated garlic. Leftover mix is great for other dishes.)
• Place the chicken wings on the sheet pan
• Brush wings with annatto paste (cover all wings completely)
• Sprinkle chicken wings evenly with 1 tablespoon seasoning salt.
• Place pan in preheated oven at 300 degrees and set timer for 45 minutes.
• When finished, remove from the oven, discard the broth, and place the wings directly into the refrigerator to cool.
• If not used immediately, keep in an airtight container (Note: shelf life is 5 days).
“The Q” Keg Bar Hotwing
(1 time, about 6 per person)
6 prepared wings (see above)
2 cups vegetable oil or shortening
2 ounces Frank’s RedHot (or BBQ sauce or sesame ginger)
2 ounces ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping
3 celery sticks
• Heat oil or shortening in a large skillet.
• Place the prepared chicken wings in the hot oil in a frying pan and sear for 4 minutes per side until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
• Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
• Place the chicken wings into an empty mixing bowl
• Choose from Frank’s Red Hot, Barbecue Sauce, or Sesame Ginger Dressing to completely dip all the wings into the sauce.
Choose from celery sticks and ranch or blue cheese dipping sauces.
With over 35 years of experience in the restaurant and hospitality industry, Diane Lasswell is the Assistant Director of Kitchen Operations at the new Kil Cedar Creek Casino. She oversees and runs the menus for restaurants in the casino, including The Landing, an innovative food hall experience at The Kitchen, and Keg Bar.